Monday, January 18, 2010

Embracing Your Freedom by Susie Larson


Many women feel stuck in their faith. They are bored living in a Christian bubble and long for the greater adventure of significance God designed for them! But just how do we move past our fears and the lies that keep us bound to our past? And are we really called to change the world? Embracing Your Freedom will give you a deeper understanding of your freedom in Christ and a bigger view of God's heart for the world. Walk with Susie Larson as she helps you to:

* Prevent fear from bullying your dreams.
* Know increased boldness in the face of insecurities.
* Experience fulfilling adventures through compassionate service




Interview with Susie Larson:


Why did you write this book?

I wrote “Embracing Your Freedom” out of a burning desire to see Christians set free from fears, past mistakes, insecurities, personal hang ups, and other’s opinions. God has made it possible for us to be free from everything that binds us, and for a specific reason. We are called to be world-changers. We have it written in our spiritual DNA to minister that same freedom to others. Since we live in a wealthy nation, it’s easy to medicate our pain and prop ourselves up with things that keep us comfortable in our captivity. But as a result, we end up living small, insignificant lives.

“Embracing Your Freedom” calls Believers out of ‘ Self-preserving-Western-Suburban Christianity’ into a powerful life of risk-taking, freedom, significance and influence.

What was the most fun part to write?


I’ll be honest. This was the most difficult book I have ever written. I encountered a lot of spiritual opposition while working on this project.

I think I’ve hit a nerve with the devil. He wants to keep us living captive insignificant lives. He wants us comfortable in our captivity so we never want to leave. He hates the message of freedom.

Even so, I most enjoyed writing the last two sections of the book:
*Trusting God to be Big in Us
*Following His Lead, Changing the World

What was the hardest?

I can’t point to any one chapter as being the most difficult to write. For me, it was the daily grind of pounding out the words after sleepless nights, terrible dreams, and perpetual computer problems. Nothing about this project was easy. It tested my faith, my perspective, and my perseverance in every way. But, because I believe so strongly in this book’s message, I’d do it all again if God asked it of me.


What do you hope readers get from the book?

In the Gospel of John, chapter 10, verse 10 we read Jesus’ words: “The thief comes to steal, kill, and destroy, but I come that you might have life, and life abundantly.” When the enemy steals from us through pain, betrayal, rejection, neglect, or some other traumatic experience, we change. We live differently as a result of those experiences. Often times we live from a smaller plot of land (so to speak) than God intended for us. It’s time to get our land back.

My prayer is for my readers to be moved deeply in their souls to contend for their freedom; to walk with God to their next places of promise; to awaken to their God-sized call in such a way that they begin to change the world. It’s easier to stay safe and make all kinds of rules around our insecurities. It takes much more grit to step out in faith and face down our fears.

I want to see a whole generation of Christians contend for their paid-for freedom; and then I want to see them mobilized to change the world.

How do you want to be remembered as an author?

If I’m known for anything, I want to be known for knowing Christ. I want to be remembered as someone whose passions revolved around my relationship with Him. My heart for the hurting, the broken, and the slave all come from Him. My heart for attempting the impossible and believing for the inconceivable, come from Him. My refusal to be defined by painful memories and experiences that I might become the person God intended me to be, comes from Him.

As an author, speaker, occasional radio host, wife, mother, daughter, sister, friend (and so on), I want to be remembered as someone who inspired countless others to live out this same God-given call.

What's next for you?

Thanks for asking! This March (2010) my next book releases and is titled, “Growing Grateful Kids: Teaching Them to Appreciate an Extraordinary God in Ordinary Places.” We live in a day when kids ooze selfishness, entitlement, and disrespect. This book encourages moms (and grand-moms) to instill gratitude, honor, and humility into our children. And even though it’s critical that we do so, it’s not difficult. I am very excited about this book and I’m looking forward to my speaking tour this spring.

No comments: