Thursday, July 30, 2009

Warrior's Duty by Jeanne Tomlin


When war comes to Wayfare Keep, Tamra has to fight, in every sense, to survive. Tamra is the Captain of the Guard of Wayfare Keep and nothing can distract her from her duty -- which is why she has joined her forces those of Sir Cedrian and the army of the city of Madrian to defend their land against invading enemies. When their army is routed and her lover, the scout, Jessup, is lost, she is shattered. Even worse lies ahead as the secrets of her past come to light. Each death in battle only makes their enemy stronger, allowing the enemy priests to summon invincible demons called ixich. Yet in their darkest hour, haunted by loss and with defeat imminent, Tamra and her allies call upon their deepest strengths to survive and triumph. When war comes to Wayfare Keep, Tamra has to fight, in every sense, to survive.



Why did you write this book?

I'm basically a story teller. These characters wanted their story told and gave
me the job.

What's your favorite part?

Tough question! Probably the part where Tamra and Jessup meet and, believe me,
it's not love at first sight. But unlike many writers, I enjoy writing battles
and fights. I love lots of adrenaline pumping, so those were fun too.

What was hardest to write?

The hardest for me is editing. Writing the first draft is fun. You're just
telling a story to yourself or that's how I do it anyway. Then you have to
figure out all the places where your story doesn't get across to a reader.
That's hard.

What do you hope readers get from it?

Since I'm a story teller, I hope the reader gets an enjoyable story. Is there
more to it? Yes, there are themes in there and thoughts about how the world and
people work, but they come out of the story, not the other way around.

What's next for you?

I have two new novels completed and I'm working on a third--so I suppose my next
job is the one I dislike most, like many writers. It's selling my work. *groans*

No comments: