Monday, June 16, 2008

An Interview with Cindi Myers



What led you to write "A Soldier Comes Home"?

This book evolved from a collection of newspaper articles I had about our soldiers in Iraq. One set of articles was about soldiers who got 'Dear John' letters from wives and girlfriends while they were overseas. I thought this was so sad and the romantic in me wanted to give them all happy endings! The other set of articles was about Native American soldiers from the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation in South Dakota and that gave me my subplot. From there my imagination took over .

What was the hardest part of writing this story?

I think the hardest part was trying to do justice to the men and women serving our country in the armed forces, and to their families waiting at home. I didn't want to misrepresent them in any way. I hope I've succeeded in making the characters and their situations realistic.


What was the easiest?

I really fell in love with these characters! They came to life for me and really spoke to me.

What do you hope readers will get from this story?

I hope they'll enjoy the book -- that it will give them hours of entertainment away from their regular lives, and will be a story that resonates for them and one they'll remember. If any of them are going through difficult times in their own lives, I hope my characters will inspire them to have courage and hope.

What's next for you?

I have a lot of exciting things coming up -- In September and October 2008, look for two Blaze titles -- At Her Pleasure and Her Secret Treasure. Both books are deal with the search for, and recovery of, shipwrecked treasure from an infamous female pirate, Passionata. Both take place in the Caribbean, on deserted Passionata's Island, once the stronghold of the Pirate Queen. They're fun, sexy reads.

In December, I have another Superromance, A Man to Rely On, about a woman who returns to her hometown after a sensational trial in which she was acquitted of murdering her basketball superstar husband. She runs into an old friend who's trying to put his life back together after a few missteps. The attraction is instantaneous, but each is wary of repeating past mistakes.

In May 2009 I have a Superromance that has yet to be titled. I'm finishing it up right now and it features a single pregnant mom and a dad who's trying to regain custody of his six-year old daughter. Neither one of them thinks the time is right to get involved with anyone, but of course, love has its own timing.

I've also completed the third book in my Crested Butte series for Harlequin American and am awaiting a publication date for that. So lots of good things on the horizon.

No comments: