Thursday, August 27, 2009

The Knight by Steven James


The stakes have never been higher. FBI Agent Patrick Bowers is used to tracking the country's most dangerous killers, but now it looks like a killer is tracking him. When he realizes the murderer is using clues from a medieval manuscript as a blueprint for his crimes, Bowers faces a race against time to decipher who the next victim will be and to stop the final shocking murder--which he's beginning to believe might be his own.

A word of caution: This book is considered "gritty, chilling and intense." It contains graphic descriptions of disturbing crime scenes. While not for the faint of heart, the series has been described as "suspense thriller writing at its highest level" and is likely to keep you up all night.

Steven's Website:
http://www.stevenjames.net/


Interview with Steven:

1. Tell us a little about the series.

Patrick Bowers, an FBI criminologist who uses cutting-edge 21st century investigative techniques, tracks a variety of killers, arsonists, cult leaders and criminal masterminds. The novels are suspenseful and filled with high-octane action. I’ve loved working on the series and hearing from the growing fan base about how they’ve grown close to the characters, especially Patrick’s stepdaughter, Tessa.

2. What do you enjoy about writing these books?

Well, I’m not sure my wife appreciates the long hours I have to put in! At least she’s been very supportive over the years. Peraonally, I enjoy the challenge of coming up with complex plots. Each book feels like putting together 125,000 word puzzle. It takes me nearly a year, but in the end, it’s worth it. I think.

3. Does any part of the story, character or subject disturb you? How do you work through that,if so?

When writing from the point-of-view of the sadistic serial killers, it can be a bit troubling. All right, more than “a bit.” For instance, last summer, the killer from The Knight began to give me nightmares and I had to put the book aside and finish writing a prayer book I’ve been working on. (It’s called A Heart Exposed, and will be released later this fall.)

4. What reaction do you hope readers get from this book?

Two things. First, as a Christian, I have a strong belief in the reality of both good and evil, in the dignity of life and the tragedy of death. So, when I present evil, I want it to be disturbing rather than alluring. I want to bring humanity to the characters so that when someone is killed, it matters. That’s the way it is in real life and I want my fiction to reflect that.

Second, I write with a moral question in mind that drives the story. Typically, it’s a moral dilemma like “What’s more important, truth or justice?” I would like readers to spend time thinking about these questions that ultimately matter. The novels present hope as real and available from God, and of course I would like my readers to discover that as well.

5. What's next? The Bishop? The Queen? Checkmate?

The Bishop will release summer of 2010. We’re planning four more books after The Bishop: The Queen, The King, Checkmate, and then a prequel entitled Opening Moves, so I guess Patrick Bowers and his stepdaughter Tessa will be around for awhile! By the way, readers can find out more about the series at www.patrickbowers.com



Available August 2009 at your favorite bookseller from Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group.

No comments: