Thursday, August 06, 2009

the Window to My Soul by Tannia Ortiz-Lopes

The Window to my soul, My Walk with Jesus, is a remarkable and unique book of inspirational poetic prayers and meditations. The book is the author’s profession of her love for Jesus and of thanks to God for the many gifts and talents that He has given her. It also expresses her deep gratitude for God's sending His only begotten Son to die for her sins and allowing her and many more to find peace in Christ and an open door back to heaven. It is a total surrender to the teachings and guidance of the Holy Spirit during the study of the Scriptures. These poetic prayers and reflections are the author's way of pouring out her heart and soul while meditating on God's Word and the marvellous daily miracles in her life.

In March 2006, the book was voted “Best Poetry Book” by www.christianstoryteller.com

The book can be purchased directly from the publisher at www.tatepublishing.com, or from Amazon.




An Interview With Tannia:


Why did you write this book?


In 2003 I had a very vivid dream in which I was confronted with two realities: I was unprepared to die and the thought of this lack of preparation frightened me to my bones. In order to check my self-worth and seek some internal peace, I attended a silent spiritual retreat. Those who know me well always laugh at this, because I talk even on my sleep. The attendees were only allowed to speak during our evening meals. In one of those evenings, I shared two of my poems with another woman. She commented I should consider publishing them. The next day I asked my assigned spiritual director at the retreat house and she told me the same thing. The next week when I met with Fr. Bill, my permanent spiritual director, he shared the sentiment of those two persons. So I looked up at heaven and said: ''Ok, God. I got the message. You want me to publish them.'' On July 2004 my book, The Window to my Soul; My walk with Jesus was published by Tate Publishing.

What is your favorite part of it?

This question is hard to answer. The book is divided in four sections: A New Beginning, Walking a Mile with Job and then some... (Job 1-17), Reflections while walking with God and Jesus, and Through the Darkness. Each section is a reflection of my spiritual growth, my doubts, my victories, praises, and thanksgiving for God's blessings in my life. However, if I have to pick one poem, then I would choose: ''Who am I?'' This poem is the summary of my trials and triumphs. It is also the poem that most readers seem to identify themselves with. It is a poem that applies to all of us because it ponders over the never answered question, ''Who am I?''

What was hardest to write about it?


The hardest was the selection of the reflections and poems for the book and their edits. Some poems were very hard to reread and to write since they brought back those emotions that inspired them. Some of them were praises and joy for God's blessings in my life. Others had a darker tone since they echoed my uncertainty about God's will to my life. My calling was strong and my overwhelming respond to Jesus is still very vivid in my memory. I wondered in the wilderness for 40 years and then one day Jesus said: ''Enough! This one is coming back to the flock.'' He wanted to call my attention and he did in a very effective way. He used His tough love strategy and it worked! I am just glad that He never gave up on me.

What do you hope readers get from it?

It is my hope and desire that the reader gets a better better understanding of Jesus' unconditional love for each one of us. He is watching over us and waits patiently for us to come to His tender, loving arms to rest. All meditations, reflections, and poems are written in a very personal and intimate tone. The reader will be able to see through the window to my soul; my walk with Jesus. Most of the comments I have heard are: ''I was unable to put it down.'' ''I keep it at my night table and read it before I go to bed.'' ''Every time I read it, I get a new meaning to the reflection I read.'' I considered those comments from different readers very encouraging. Most of the readers who have been touched by my book are women. However, a couple of men have also commented on the depth of its message.

What's next for you?

I am currently working with the Spanish version of this book. This time, I chose the print-on-demand (POD) provider, Pleasant Word, to produce the book. I am very pleased with my choice. The Spanish title is El Espejo de mi Alma. This book will be published with my name and not the pen name of Mary Magdalene used for the English publication. In addition to writing inspirational poetry and meditations, I also write book reviews for www.catholicfiction.net and I recently joined the Thomas Nelson's book review blogers program.

However, my most ambitious project is the writing of a book in German regarding WWII. The book is based on eye witnesses account of Germans who survived the war and their experiences during that dark time in Germany's history. This book is scheduled for publication in 2012, if it is God's will.

1 comment:

Tannia E. Ortiz-Lopés said...

Karina: I want to thank for giving me the opportunity to share the blessings of my book with your readers. Last July I celebrated the 5th anniversary of the publication of this book.

What a great gift to have it featured here at your blog!

May God continue to pour blessings over you and your loved ones.

Your sis in Christ, Tanna